- Distinguished researcher at the Ontology Engineering Group of the Universidad Politécnica de Madrid (since March, 2021). I am also an affiliated scientist at the Information Sciences Institute.
- Computer scientist at the Information Sciences Institute of the University of Southern California (July 2018 - February 2021).
- Postdoctoral researcher at the Information Sciences Institute of the University of Southern California (September 2016-July 2018).
- Ph. D. in artificial intelligence at the Ontology Engineering Group (Dec 2015).
- Ph. D. student at the Ontology Engineering Group (Feb 2011-Dec 2015).
- Master in Artificial Intelligence Research, by the Universidad Politécnica de Madrid (Oct 2009 - February, 2011).
- Graduated in Informatics Engineering by the Universidad Complutense de Madrid (28/07/2009).
- Member of the Consortium of scientific software registries and repositories (Chair during 2023)
- Member of the Dagstuhl seminar: Towards a Unified Model of Scholarly Argumentation
- Member of the RO-Create community
- Member of the FAIR for Research Software working group at the Research Data Alliance
- Member of the Intelligent Systems for geosciences network (IS-GEO)
- Member of the Dagstuhl seminar: Engineering academic software (link to final report).
- Member of the Dagstuhl seminar: Reproducibility of Data oriented experiments on eScience (link to final report).
- Member of the Dagstuhl seminar: Principles of Provenance (link to final report).
- Member of the W3C Provenance Working Group (2011-12), which is building a family of specifications for representing and exchanging provenance in the Web.
- Member of the W3C Provenance Incubator Group (2010), which provided a state-of-the art understanding and a roadmap in the area of provenance for Semantic Web technologies, development, and possible standardization (link to final report).
- Member of the Dublin Core Metadata Provenance Task Group (2010-12), which aims to define a Dublin Core application profile for representing metadata provenance.
- Part time lecturer at the Universidad Politécnica de Madrid
- Part time lecturer of Computer Science at the USC Computer Science Department
- Querying Wikidata: All the Knowledge in the World September 2022 DCMI ASIS&T Webinar Series
- KGTK: Tools for Creating and Exploiting Large Knowledge Graphs (Knowledge Graph Conference, 2022)
- KGTK: Tools for Creating and Exploiting Large Knowledge Graphs (The Web conference 2022)
- KGTK: Tools for Creating and Exploiting Large Knowledge Graphs (ISWC 2021)
- Linking, Extending, Exploiting and Enhancing Tabular Data with Wikidata (K-CAP 2019)
- The Scientific Paper of the Future. Seminar taught at Universidad Pontificia Bolivariana, University of New Mexico, University of Southern California (four times), University of Texas at Austin, Stanford University, Association for the Advancement of Artificial Intelligence (AAAI2017)
- WINGS Tutorial (Stanford, 2016)
- PROV-O: The W3C Provenance Ontology Tutorial (DC 2013)
- From Preserving Data to Preserving Context (TPDL 2013)
- Information Sciences Institute with Yolanda Gil (01 Mar 2014 -01 Jun 2014): Evaluation of the thesis and integration with The Loni Pipeline workflow system.
- Information Sciences Institute with Yolanda Gil (15 Jul 2012 -15 Oct 2012): Work in scientific workflow abstraction, decay and publication.
- Information Sciences Institute with Yolanda Gil (1 Jul 2011 -1 Oct 2011): Collaboration with the UCSD group (Phil Bourne) in order to reproduce the TB-Drugome experiment and expose it as Linked Data.
- FPU (Formación de Personal Universitario) December, 2011-2015.
- OTT (Oficina de Transferencia tecnológica) holder from October 2009 to December 2011.
- Convocatoria del Programa de Estímulo a la Investigación de Jóvenes Doctores 2021-2024 (2022-2024). 40.000 EUR
- Programa de apoyo a la realización de proyectos de I+D para investigadores de la Universidad Politécnica de Madrid beneficiarios de la convocatoria Beatriz Galindo del Ministerio de Ciencia e Innovación, convocatoria relativa a los años 2019-2023. 88.856 EUR.
- Beatriz Galindo (March, 2021 - March, 2025).
- Co-PI NSF Award: REU Site: SURF-I: Safe, Usable, Resilient and Fair Internet. Duration: 2021-2024. NSF 19-582 Research Experiences for Undergraduates. Award no. 2051101. $405,000. Award had to be amended due to change of institution.
- 2022 AAAI/ACM SIGAI New and Future Educator awardee. (Blue sky ideas)
- Best demo for the ISWC 2021 Posters and Demo track. For FOOPS!: An Ontology Pitfall Scanner for the FAIR principles.
- Spotlight paper (runner up) for the ISWC 2020 Resource track. For OBA: An Ontology-Based Framework for Creating REST APIs for Knowledge Graphs.
- Best reviewer award at the Extended Semantic Web Conference (ESWC 2020)
- Best paper award at the Sixth International Conference on Internet of Things: Systems, Management and Security (IOTSMS): Markovic, M.; Garijo, D. et al. Semantic Modelling of Plans and Execution Traces for Enhancing Transparency of IoT Systems. 2019 Sixth International Conference on Internet of Things: Systems, Management and Security (IOTSMS) Granada (Spain)
- Best Poster award at the 2018 INCF Neuroinformatics Congress, Montreal, Canada, August 9-10, 2018: McMahon A, Garijo D, Espiritu R et al. ENIGMA-ODS: a platform for global neuroscience collaborations in the ENIGMA Consortium. F1000Research 2018, 7:1205 (poster) (https://doi.org/10.7490/f1000research.1115893.1).
- Award for service to the EarthCube Community. For the collaboration in the Intelligent Systems for Geosciences Research Communication Network (IS-GEO RCN). 2018
- Our paper "Quantifying Reproducibility in Computational Biology: The Case of the Tuberculosis Drugome" got selected for the PLOS ONE 10 year anniversary Datasets collection
- Best ISWC 2017 Resource paper award: "Garijo, D. WIDOCO, a WIzard for DOCumenting Ontologies".d'Amato C. et al. (eds) The Semantic Web – ISWC 2017. ISWC 2017. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol 10588. Springer, Cham.
- Premio extraordinario de tesis doctoral (Universidad Politecnica of Madrid's award, 2016)
- Finalist of the award "Mejor Tesis Ibérica en STI" for the best dissertation in Spain and Portugal, 2016.
- EDBT Summer school 2015 best mini-project award
- I Concurso de Datos Abiertos organized by Junta de Castilla y León (Special mention, 2013). Read more here.
- Triplification Challenge (Application track, 2011). Read more here.
Organization of events
- 2022 Open Summer of Code, a three week hackathon for students in La Nave, Madrid.
- FAIR Computational workflows, International FAIR Convergence Symposium 2020
- The AAAI 2020 Workshop on Reproducible AI - RAI2020, co-located with AAAI 2020
- Third Workshop on Capturing Scientific Knowledge (Sciknow2019), co-located with K-CAP 2019
- Tutorial and workshop chair in the 10th International Conference on Knowledge Capture (K-CAP) 2019
- Federated Knowledge Bases and the Open Knowledge Network, co-located with the 2019 Automatic Knowledge Base Construction Conference (AKBC2019).
- Second Workshop on Enabling Semantic Science (SemSci2018), colocated with ISWC 2018
- First Workshop on Enabling Semantic Science (SemSci2017), co-located with ISWC 2017
- Second Workshop on Capturing Scientific Knowledge (SciKnow2017), co-located with K-CAP 2017
- Reviewer in peer-reviewed journals: Future Generation Computer Systems, Journal of Web Semantics, Semantic Web Journal, International Journal of Web Information Systems, Software: Practice and Experience, Computers & Geosciences, Concurrency and Computation: Practice and Experience, PeerJ.
- Reviewer in Conferences (part of the Program Committee): International Joint Conference on Artifial Intelligence (IJCAI), Association for the Advancement of Artificial Intelligenece (AAAI), International Conference on Knowledge capture (K-CAP), Extended Semantic Web Conference (ESWC), International Semantic Web Conference (ISWC), the Web Conference (WWW), International Conference on Semantic Systems (Semantics), Global Conference on Artificial Intelligence (GCAI)
- Reviewer in Workshops: International Workshop on Managing and Querying Provenance Data at Scale (BigProv), Workshop on Semantic Web Enterprise Adoption and Best Practice (WASABI), International Workshop on Methods for Establishing Trust of (Open) Data (Method), International Workshop on Linked Science (LISC), International Provenance and Annotation Workshop (IPAW), International Workshop of Scientific Gateways (ISWG), Semantics, Analytics, Visualisation: Enhancing Scholarly Data (Save-SD), Workflows in Support of Large-Scale Science (WORKS), International Workshop on Methods for Establishing Trust of (Open) Data (METHOD), EXperience reuse: Provenance, Process-ORientation and Traces (EXPPORT).
- w3id.org maintainer
- Knowledge Graph Chair at Semantics 2023
- Proceedings Chair in the Web Conference, 2023
- Resources Chair at ISWC 2023
- Open Summer of Code organizer (2022 Spanish edition)
- Knowledge Graph Chair at K-CAP 2021
- Coordinator of the Intelligent Systems for Geosciences Research Collaboration Network (IS-GEO)
- EKAW 2020 Poster and Demo Chair
- K-CAP 2019 Tutorial and Workshop Chair
- K-CAP 2017 Treasurer and sponsor chair
- Judge at the International Science and Engineering Fair (ISEF 2017)
- Treasurer at the 9th International Conference on Knowledge Capture (K-CAP) 2017
- Student coordinator at ISWC 2016